Friday 8 March 2013

Happy International Women's Day


Today is international women's day. But what does this actually mean for me: a single 30 year old woman living and working in Canberra Australia? 

To be honest, most years it means attending a breakfast or lunch seminar where we hear about some of the great achievements women have made in the past. I then go back to work and continue with my day. 

This year, I missed out on the lunch, but it still gives me time to reflect on where I am in life.

Growing up in Australia, and having parents who are very focused on equality for everyone, I am extremely lucky. I was brought up to believe I can achieve anything I set my mind to, no matter what my sex/race/religion etc. Today I work in a job I love, in a firm which has about 80% women (pretty good numbers for a law firm).

That said, as great as we have it here in Australia compared to elsewhere in the world, as I get older, I get more cynical about whether woman are actually equal with men, particularly on a professional level. 

I still see the "boys club" environment in business. Deals done on the golf course, salary surveys which show men earn more than women for the same amount of work, women losing huge amounts of super when they take maternity leave, woman subject to different dress codes, being talked down to by men who assume we know less about business because we are female, etc etc.

But what I also see, is a new way of thinking from both sexes. One of acknowledging similarities, but also embracing differences

What I also see, is rather than women being bitter about the differences, they are being clever and creative in coming up with their own strategies to improve their position.

For someone in my position, it is about working smarter, rather than fighting harder.

So happy International Women's Day to everyone: men and women alike. We may be different in a number of ways, but at the end of the day we just want the best for ourselves and our families. For some of us, we just get there in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment